Regal Cinemas owner considering closure all screens in US

Regal Cinemas’ owner Cineworld is considering temporarily closing all of its screens in the U.S. and Britain.

a store sign on the side of a building: Regal Cinemas owner considering closure all screens in US © Victor J. Blue/Getty Images Regal Cinemas owner considering closure all screens in US

Cineworld, the second-biggest cinema operator worldwide, is considering the move as studios continue to delay the release of big films amid the coronavirus pandemic. The company employs 37,482 people across 787 venues in the U.S., Britain and central Europe, including 546 venues in the U.S.

“We can confirm we are considering the temporary closure of our U.K. and US cinemas, but a final decision has not yet been reached,” the company said in a statement. “Once a decision has been made we will update all staff and customers as soon as we can.”

A person familiar with the situation told Reuters Cineworld would shut down its U.S., U.K. and Ireland screens this week.

The announcement comes after the new James Bond film “No Time To Die” was delayed until next year, MGM confirmed to The Hill on Friday.

Regal Cinemas began reopening in July once cities and states started to loosen coronavirus restrictions. Cineworld cautioned investors last month it might need to raise more money if it had to shut down again after its shares have dropped 82 percent this year.

The company said customers came to watch “Tenet,” a Christopher Nolan film, in late August, but delays for “No Time To Die,” “Black Widow” and “West Side Story” have limited crowds.



Source

Leave a Reply