Photos show how the coronavirus affected the world’s biggest tourist attractions throughout this unprecedented year
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many people stayed home in 2020.
- This spring, tourist attractions, theme parks, and famous landmarks made history by shuttering their doors for the first time in decades.
- Come fall, many had reopened, but with strict new protocols in place, like capacity limits, temperature checks, and mask requirements.
- From the Louvre Museum in Paris to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, here’s what tourist attractions looked like throughout this unprecedented year.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
With that, the travel industry was nearly decimated. Tourist attractions and famous landmarks around the world closed their doors.
Although some attractions have since reopened, many of the once-bustling attractions are still eerily quiet today.
Keep scrolling to see pictures of what some of the most-visited tourist attractions looked like throughout 2020.